Skip navigation

L'ensemble du contenu de notre site web est actuellement en cours de traduction et sera bientôt disponible en français. Cette page n'ayant pas encore été intégralement traduite, nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

Bupa Global Travel

Frequently asked questions

General travel insurance FAQs

Can I cancel my travel insurance policy before it starts?

Yes, you can cancel the insurance within 14 days of the date of your purchase for a full refund if you purchased travel insurance with the duration of one month or more.

For more information, please see section 28.3 of your policy document

How can I contact Bupa Global Travel Insurance?

You can contact our Bupa Global Assistance team at any time in case of illness and emergency while travelling:

Bupa Global Assistance

We are at your disposal 24 hours a day.

Bupa Global Travel insurance customers:

+45 70 23 24 61


You can also contact the Bupa Global Travel Customer Service on weekdays between 9am-5pm (CET) on the following details:

Bupa Global Travel Customer Service

+45 70 20 70 48

Why don’t you ask for my travel destination when I purchase my policy?

Generally we don’t need to know where you are going because we cover you almost anywhere in the world, including the USA and Canada.

However, cover in Afghanistan, Crimea, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria and Venezuela can only be provided if pre-approved on a case by case basis. If cover is approved for Afghanistan and Iraq, there will be a loading fee of 300% on top of the premium. Please contact us if you plan to travel to one of these countries.

If you are travelling to a sanctioned country you need to contact us beforehand to confirm that we can cover you on the trip.

Can I get any discounts?

When you purchase your travel insurance online, you automatically receive 5 % discount. If you already have a health insurance with Bupa Global, you can get an extra 10% discount. In step 3 of the purchase process you can enter your Bupa health insurance policy number, to receive the discount.

What is the maximum length of travel on a single trip or annual multi-trip travel policy? How long a trip can I go on, and still be covered by the insurance?

Our single trip insurance allows you to buy cover for one trip that can be up to 365 days long.

Our annual multi-trip travel insurance covers you for as many trips as you like in one year, each trip can last up to one month. The one month cover begins from the day you leave your country of residence. If one of your trips extends beyond one month, you can extend your insurance to cover the extra days by purchasing extra days online.

What is the difference between a single trip and the annual multi-trip insurance?

Our single trip insurance can cover you for the period of time you are travelling, outside your country of residence, from one day up to 365 days Worldwide. You can travel to as many countries as you like during the trip.

Our annual multi-trip travel policy covers you for multiple trips outside your country of residence during the year, but each trip must not be longer than one month. If you are staying longer than one month outside your country of residence, you can extend your insurance for the specific trip by purchasing extra days online. You can travel to as many countries as you want during the one-month cover.

Does your travel insurance cover me for travel within the country I live in?

No, our travel insurance does not offer cover whilst you are travelling in the country in which you reside.

Why do I need travel insurance?

Travel insurance can cover you for unexpected medical illness or accidents while traveling outside your country of residence. Getting medical attention on holiday can cost a lot of money, and travel insurance can help ensure that you’re covered for these unexpected expenses.

Will Bupa Global Travel insurance cover me if I travel for business? Am I covered for both business and leisure trips?

Yes, both our single trip and annual multi-trip travel policies cover you for holidays, leisure travel and business trips.

Please note that the cover for personal liability/3rd person liability is not available while you are travelling for business.

Where am I allowed to travel with my travel cover?

We cover you almost anywhere in the world including the USA. However, we only provide cover in Afghanistan, Crimea, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria and Venezuela if we have pre-approved the risk. Please contact us if you plan to travel to one of these countries. Any cover approved for Afghanistan and Iraq will incur an additional premium (i.e. cost more).

What is the age limit for your travel insurance?

Our travel insurance policies cover you up to and including the age of 69, if you buy an annual multi-trip policy, or 74 for single trip insurance policies.

Is there an age limit for winter sports cover?

No. Our travel insurance policies cover policy holders for the same activities no matter your age up to our age limit of 69, if you buy an annual multi-trip policy, or 74 for single trip insurance policies.

Why does travel insurance cost more when I am over 60?

We know people over the age of 60 are generally active and healthy, but insurance costs more in this age group as it is associated with more pre-existing conditions, and some injuries simply take longer to recover from.

Do I have to be a Bupa customer in order to buy your travel insurance?

No, you don’t have to be an existing customer of Bupa to buy our travel insurance.


Can I terminate my annual multi-trip policy in the middle of the year?

Yes, you can terminate your policy with effect from the end of a calendar month, with 30 days prior notice, for a refund of the remaining months. If you’ve had your annual multi-trip insurance policy for less than a year, there will be an administration fee of USD 100/EUR 75/GBP 60/CHF 95.

After you’ve had your annual multi-trip insurance policy for more than a year, you can terminate it without a cancellation fee.

Can I choose where I want to receive treatment if I need medical attention while travelling?

Yes, you can choose any recognised hospital or treatment facility*, but in order to be guided to your nearest appropriate facility during travel, we recommend that you call our 24-hour medical team, who will help you with this and other medical assistance you may need during travel.

* We are unable to cover the treatment costs for a small number of providers. Please check this list, as it is regularly updated.

Bupa Global Assistance

Contact us 24/7 on:

+45 70 23 24 61

Does the travel insurance cover expenses for dental treatment?

If you have lost a filling, broken a tooth or have an infection or injury, whilst travelling outside of your home country, we cover pain relieving dental treatment if it requires immediate treatment only (see policy conditions art. 6.4)

How do I get information about my insurance and see the status of my policy?

On myPage, you can see see all of your insurance documents, make payments, and request changes i.e. to your address details, adding an extra person to your insurance cover or adding/removing an extra cover.

There is one myPage account per policy number. It is not possible to have several policy numbers under a single myPage account.

If you have not entered myPage before, please create a new user by entering your policy number and date of birth dd-mm-yyyy, on the right hand side of the page. And then create a new username and password for future use.

Access myPage

How do I change my name, address, date of birth or other details, or add someone to my policy?

Simply email us or call us using the details below:

Bupa Global Travel Customer Service

Contact us Monday-Friday between 9am - 5pm (CET)

+45 70 20 70 48

How do I extend my travel insurance?

Single trip policy: You can extend it up to a maximum of one year of total travel outside your country of residence. This you can do on our website.

Annual multi-trip travel policy: You can extend it by purchasing extra days if your trip is longer than a month. You can extend it up to a maximum of one year of total travel outside your country of residence. This you can do on our website.

Bupa Global Travel Customer Service

Contact us Monday-Friday between 9am -5pm (CET)

+45 70 20 70 48

What information do I need to purchase a travel insurance policy?

To provide a quote, we need your date of birth and travel dates. We don’t need your destination since the insurance covers worldwide travel, including the USA (excluding Afghanistan, Crimea, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan, South Sudan, Syria and Venezuela, which is subject to approval from us and an additional premium will apply for Afghanistan and Iraq).

When you buy a policy, we’ll need your full name and home address too. Your home address is important so we can repatriate you in case of a medical emergency.

You can also get the quote online.

Is there a limit for reimbursement of medical expenses, and is there an excess / deductible?

There is no excess or deductible on any of our approved medical cover. We offer unlimited cover on eligible repatriation, hospitalisation and outpatient treatment by a recognised doctor or specialist, as well as prescribed medicines. Limits apply to some benefits, for instance prescribed treatment by a physiotherapist/chiropractor and provisional pain relieving dental treatment you can see the full details here.

What if I have an address in more than one country? Which country should I choose as my country of residence for my policy?

Please provide the country in which you officially reside, in case you need emergency medical transport home. The country you list as your country of residence will be the country you will be taken to in case of a medical evacuation or repatriation.

What is a non-medical travel insurance add-on?

The non-medical cover is an add-on to the medical cover, it provides cover for flight delays, luggage delays, theft, personal liability, missed flight connections, security and legal assistance, personal accident, death and disability.

How do I buy non-medical travel insurance?

Simply choose the policy that includes the non-medical add-on while purchasing your policy. If you already have our medical travel insurance, contact us (+45 70 20 70 48 or to add the non-medical cover to your policy.

Is pregnancy considered a pre-existing condition?

No. With Bupa Global Travel insurance you will be covered for acute illness and accidents, whether you are pregnant or not, but prenatal care such as general check-ups and scans are not covered.

You will be covered for travel up until and including the 36th week of your pregnancy – or until the 18th week, if the pregnancy is the result of fertility treatment or you are expecting more than one child (Please see art. 23.1.7 in our conditions).

Premature birth is covered within the periods of pregnancy mentioned, if it can be documented that you have not had any complications related to the pregnancy prior to your trip. Please note, that in case of premature birth, your new-born child is not covered by the insurance.

If you have had any complications during pregnancy, please apply for pre-existing conditions cover (pdf).

Does your insurance cover an emergency landing resulting from my pregnancy?

No it doesn't. If the airline agrees to fly you, they also take the risk that they may have to land due to your pregnancy, so check this with your airline before your trip. Anything unexpected that requires medical attention is, of course, covered by our travel insurance.

Will the insurance cover medical transportation to the treatment facility, like an ambulance or helicopter?

All fees for ambulance transport are covered when medically necessary. If you are in need of a helicopter evacuation or similar during the trip, cover will be confirmed once we have had a doctor's word that it is medically necessary. If it is an urgent matter, then action must be taken, and approval can come next. This means that we can evaluate the evacuation retroactively, for example by speaking to the doctor at the clinic where you are taken to be treated.

When does the travel insurance cover evacuation and medical evacuation?

If you are travelling into a country or a region, where the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark, the Danish embassy or a similar institution within the EU advises against travelling to before you go there, we will in this case not cover the expenses in case an evacuation is needed.

However you will still be covered in case a medical evacuation is needed.

For full terms and conditions for evacuation and medical evacuation please see the policy conditions.

When should I start my annual multi-trip travel insurance policy?

Your annual multi-trip travel insurance policy will start on the first day of the month in which you start travelling.

Sports / adventures / activities

Is my equipment covered?

We do not cover sports equipment specifically, but baggage i.e. clothing, toiletries is included if you choose the non-medical cover. Please check the limits of our non-medical cover to ensure that they are sufficient for your needs.

For more information on what is covered, please see section 14 of the policy document.

Personal liability

Our non-medical add-on includes liability cover, which includes both bodily injury (if you accidentally hurt others) as well as property damage (if you accidentally break something that belongs to others). We do not cover sporting equipment. Limits apply, please refer to the policy conditions.

Can I get cover to last the whole of the ski season?

Yes, our single trip policy can cover you if your trip is up to one year (365 days) without interruption. If you’re travelling multiple times per year then you might want to consider our annual multi-trip travel insurance policy, which can cover you up to one month per trip.

Travel delay

If your flight is delayed more than 5 hours, our non-medical cover will cover additional expenses up to USD 500/ EUR 350 / GBP 300 /CHF 550 for accommodation, meals and local transportation, if you have purchased our Medical + Non-medical policy.

Are all sport activities covered, including winter sports and adventure / extreme sports?

Our standard policies cover many lifestyle/sporting activities, including scuba diving, snorkelling, yachting, sailing, jet skiing, rafting, surfing, trekking, bungee jumping, winter sports, rugby and more. For those who are not interested in extreme sports, we cover cruises too.

We cover all sports/activities unless they are excluded in the insurance conditions.

We don’t cover training or participation in motorsport shows, motorsport races and motorsport competitions, base jumping, paragliding, hang-gliding, or rock-climbing / mountaineering that requires climbing equipment. We also don’t cover expeditions, mountaineering or trekking in Antarctica, the North Pole or Greenland.

Pre-existing conditions

Can I get annual multi-trip travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions?

Travel insurance is designed to cover acute illness and injury that occurs after you've started your trip, so to be covered, it must be unexpected.

We cover complications with pre-existing conditions, as long as you have been stable for a minimum of 6 months prior to travelling. Please see the rules of stability here.

If you have been stable in your health/condition for more than 6 months, you do not need to send in a pre-existing application form. The 6 months stability requirement applies for each trip you take. It is not possible to add a surcharge and then be covered fully.

Travel insurance does not cover expenses for control, treatment and medicines in connection with stabilisation and regulation of a pre-existing, chronic or recurrent illness/disorder. The insurance does not cover a need for treatment which was expected before departure.

If you do not meet our stability requirements, or if you are unsure, we recommend that you send an up-to-date medical report and our application form for pre-existing conditions to Bupa Global Travel and our in-house medical consultants will determine whether your particular condition is covered.

Download the application for cover of pre-existing conditions (pdf)

Do I have to declare my medical conditions?

If there have been no changes in the past 6 months, including changes to your medications, you do not have to declare pre-existing medical conditions.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing condition is any disease, illness or injury that, within the 6 months prior to the start date of your trip has resulted in one or more of the scenarios below:

  • You've received medication, medical advice or treatment; or
  • You've experienced symptoms (whether the condition was diagnosed or not)


Where can I get more information about the benefits of my policy?

You can read all the details of our policies in the policy conditions.

What information should I include with my claim?

*Policy number, date of birth first and last names

*Email address

*Itemised bills

*All diagnoses related to all claims

*If you have a health insurance, travel insurance or accident insurance with another company, please state the company name and your policy number

All bills must specify:


*Type of service

*Proof of payment

*Cost of each service provided (consultation, laboratory examination, medicine, etc)

*If medicine has been purchased, a copy of the prescription should be included

How do I submit a claim online?

All you have to do is scan your bills and corresponding receipts before attaching the documents to the online form. The document* format must be jpg, pdf, tiff or gif, and the maximum size per file is 10mb.

*Please make sure your scanned documents are clear. If we can’t read them, we will need to contact you for better versions, which will delay the claim process.

How do I scan my bills?

To make sure your bills are legible* upon receipt, please scan your bills and save them to pdf, jpg or tiff format. The maximum file size is 10mb. On the online form you click the browse button to find and select your documents before attaching them.


*Please make sure your scanned documents are clear. If we can’t read them, we will need to contact you for better versions, which will delay the claim process.

What if I submit bill for more than one person?

If you submit bills for more than one person, it is important to make sure that it is absolutely clear which person each bill concerns.

What if I submit bills for more than one policy?

If you submit bills for persons insured on different policies, you must submit the bills for each policy separately to avoid misunderstanding.

What is a Property Irregularity Report (P.I.R.)?

A report issued by the airline documenting the baggage incident.

What if I submit bills for more than one claim type?

If you submit bills for more than one claim type (eg. dental, medical or baggage), you must submit a separate claim for each type to avoid any misunderstanding.

Under which claim type should I submit non-medical claims?

Please refer to the Policy conditions for further details on coverage for each claim type, as the below descriptions are only outlines and do not list the requirements for coverage.

*Daily hospital benefit/Daily emergency cash allowance: If you have received eligible inpatient treatment at a public hospital/at no cost and wish to claim for the cash allowance covered by the insurance.

*Flight delay:If you experienced flight delay, cancellation or overbooking of a scheduled flight and wish to claim for documented, necessary and reasonable additional expenses for accommodation, food and local transport.

*Personal accident: If an accident occurred resulting in the insured’s death, loss of a limb, loss of sight, loss of extremity, or total permanent disablement.

*Personal liability:If you need to claim for legal liability for bodily injury or property damage incurred by the insured.

*Security and legal aid: If you experience legal problems during your covered trip and need to claim for legal assistance and security.

*Theft/burglary/robbery: In case of robbery, burglary or theft of personal belongings

*Fire: In case a fire should damage your personal belongings.

Do you need my original bills and should I keep my original bills after submitting my claims?

No, we no longer require the original bills in order to assess your claim. We only need a scan/copy of your original bills.

We recommend you keep your original bills until your claim has been assessed.

Who is the Provider?

The hospital, doctor’s office, ambulance service, etc., who provided the service for which you were billed.

Is the online claim form secure?

In order to protect your credit card details and personal information the online claim form is based on a secure web page. You can check that a web page is secure when a 'lock' icon appears in the window of the browser and when the URL begins with "https" (instead of the standard "http").

How will my reimbursement payment be sent to me?

For quick reimbursement, we recommend you have your payment transferred by credit card or bank transfer. You can also choose to receive your payment by cheque.

How do I select my preferred method of payment?

When you complete the online form you are asked to choose your preferred method of payment.

What information is needed to make a transfer to my bank account or credit card?

If you wish to have your reimbursement transferred to your bank account, we need the following information from you:

• Name and address of your bank

• ABA / SWIFT / BIC Code.

• Account number

• IBAN number (if the transfer is to a European bank)

• Sort code (if the transfer is to a British bank)

• Name of account holder

• Currency

If you wish to have your reimbursement transferred to your credit card, we need the following information from you:

• Type of card (Visa/Euro/Master/JBC)

• Name of card holder

• Card number

• Expiry date (MM/YY) of the card

• Currency

How will I know when my claim has been assessed?

You will receive an email notifying you that your claim has been assessed. If you hold an annual travel policy your reimbursement documents will also be available on your personal website, myPage.

How will I know if you received my claim?

Once the claim has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation as proof of submission.

Should I keep my original bills after submitting my claim?

We recommend you keep your original bills until your claim has been assessed.

What if I can't scan my bills?

You can submit your claim to us by post.

The address is:

Bupa Global Travel
Palaegade 8
1261 Copenhagen K

You can also submit the claims by email.

What browsers can I use?

The online claim form works with any of these browsers: Internet Explorer (version 7+), Firefox, Safari or Chrome.