The confidentiality of your information is of paramount concern to Bupa Global and we are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected.
When do we collect information about you?
We collect personal information about you which you provide to us, examples include when:
- you request a quote, online, by telephone or using an intermediary
- you apply for a policy
- you make a claim in relation to a policy
- you participate in any marketing activity
- you submit any query to us, for example, by email, telephone, blog replies, or social media
We may also collect personal information about you from other persons, examples include when:
- you are named in an application or a policy as a dependant under that policy - this may be an individual or a corporate policy
- processing an application or claim, we may do credit or fraud checks, obtain medical reports or obtain information from other Bupa group insurers you have previously had insurance with
- we are liaising with your family, employer, or treatment or other benefit providers, where you are a child, with your authority, or where you are unable to liaise with us
What information do we collect?
We may add your information to a database in order that we can identify you as an individual, to manage our relationship with you as a Bupa customer or prospective customer.
Our customer database may record the following information about you:
- name, address and contact details
- country of residence
- age and date of birth
- details of queries you have made
- information from customer surveys, competitions and marketing activities
- quotes you have requested
- policy applications made by you
- policy applications where you are included as a dependant
- your Bupa Global policies
- Bupa Global policies where you are included as a dependant, including corporate policies
If you have had a Bupa Global policy (or been included as a dependant on a policy) or have made or been included in an application for a Bupa Global policy, our customer database may also record information relating to:
- credit and anti-fraud checks
- payment details
- your medical history and medical reports
- your claims history
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information, for example:
- to respond to your queries, including providing quotes
- to consider and process policy applications
- to administer your policy and any claims you make
- to provide you with our services under your policy, including to provide medical advice, travel assistance services, and support with your medical treatment and other benefits
- to provide you with any updates on Bupa Global products and services
- for any competitions or other marketing activities
- to conduct and analyse customer surveys and other research and development, which may be with anonymised data
- to respond to requests where we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so
- for internal record keeping and administration
Sharing your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to parties or any other organisations to use for their own purposes unless we have your permission or are permitted by law to do so.
You agree that we may share your personal information as follows:
- where you are covered by a Bupa Global policy, with your treatment and other benefit providers, including travel assistance services, with your authority, or as we reasonably consider to be appropriate in the circumstances
- where you are not the policyholder under an individual policy, we will send all membership documents and confirmation of how we have dealt with a claim to the policyholder
- where you are insured under a corporate scheme, sharing information with your employer or an appointed intermediary, for product or service administration purposes
- with your intermediary, with your authority
- with Bupa group companies and administrators, to assist us in providing our services to you, including sales agents to follow up with prospective customers queries in relation to our products - sometimes these companies will be located outside your jurisdiction, in countries which do not provide the same protection as your own, in which case we ensure they are subject to contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security obligations
- with Bupa group companies or one of our insurance partners, where you would like to move to one of their insurance products - sometimes these companies will be located outside your jurisdiction, in countries which do not provide the same protection as your own, in which case we ensure they are subject to contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security obligations
- with credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score
- with other insurers and third parties for the purpose of fraud detection
- with third parties where we (or any member(s) of the Bupa group) sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- with third parties where either we or any member of the Bupa group (or substantially all of our or its assets) are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers or visitors to the website may be one of the transferred assets
- where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation
How long will we keep data for?
We may hold personal information for as long as it is necessary to do so, having regard to the purposes for which it was collected and the purposes for which it is to be further processed.
You should also note the comment in the ‘Controlling your personal information’ section about data deletion.
Security of your personal information
We are committed to try and ensure that your personal information is secure. In an effort to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place physical, electronic and operational procedures intended to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
If the URL of a web page starts with HTTPS or you see a locked/green padlock symbol, your data should be encrypted when it is sent from your computer to our server. However, we cannot ensure the security of your data when it is being transmitted to our website or other digital sites from other pages and all transmission of personal information and other data is done at your own risk.
Controlling your personal information
If you have any data protection queries, please contact:
The Bupa Global Service Team
Tel: +44 (0)1273 718 379
Address: Bupa Global, Victory House, Trafalgar Place, Brighton BN1 4FY, United Kingdom.
You should also contact the Bupa Global Service team:
- to request details of personal information that we hold about you (a small fee may be payable) - please let us know, which of your Bupa products and services you would like us to include in our reply, any relevant customer reference numbers as well as the details of the information you would like to see
- if you no longer wish to receive information about our products and services, or would like details of the personal information we hold about you
- if you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete or you would like us to remove any information that we have stored on you
You should not expect that all of your personally identifiable information will be completely removed from our databases in response to your requests that it be removed. For example we may need to keep a record that you have closed an account with us. In some circumstances we will retain information, such as to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, or as required by our regulators. Information may never be completely removed from our databases due to technical constraints and the fact that we back up our systems.