As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to develop, our priority remains our customers and staff around the world, ensuring their health and safety is paramount. We have measures in place to help minimise the impact to services you receive.
We would like to thank all of our valued customers and partners for their support and patience at this time. This is a fast evolving situation, but you can be assured that we are taking every possible action to help customers and staff navigate this difficult period. We have been working hard to consider the situation, particularly in relation to the epidemic exclusion in our policy terms and conditions. We want to ensure that the decisions we take are in the long-term interests of our customers.
We're following the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and making changes and recommendations where necessary.
If you’ve purchased travel insurance with us you can find all the details of how you’re covered in your policy documents on myPage, or on our website www.bupaglobal.com/travel.
Am I covered for COVID-19 under my Bupa Global Annual Multi-Trip or Single Trip Travel insurance?
From 1 September 2020 Bupa Global Annual Multi-Trip and Single Trip Travel insurance includes ex gratia COVID-19 medical cover regardless of the epidemic exclusion in our insurance conditions, provided you comply with the safe travel requirements listed below.
Safe travel requirements
- The insured shall only travel to a destination if the public authorities in the country of permanent residence of the insured have not issued warning against such travel 24 hours prior to departure.
- The insured shall only travel to a destination where the local public authorities will accept the entry and stay of the insured.
- The insurance was purchased before departure from the country of permanent residence.
- Compliance with the above-mentioned requirements (items 1-3) must be documented by the insured. E.g by taking screen prints prior to departure of the relevant websites including date and time. Read more about documentation here.
- All medical treatment in relation to COVID-19 must be pre-approved by Bupa Global Assistance.
- The insured shall comply with official health guidelines issued by public authorities at the travel destination that aim to minimise the risk of contracting COVID-19.
The ex gratia COVID-19 cover includes the following:
Bupa Global Travel will cover the cost of COVID-19 testing (excluding antibody testing) as well as costs related to treatment, medication or hospitalisation resulting from having contracted COVID-19 provided such procedures have been prescribed by a medical professional.
- We do not cover costs related to COVID-19 testing for visa purposes.
- We do not cover the cost of COVID-19 testing to comply with mandatory or recommended testing prior to travelling, upon arrival or during the trip unless the insured traveller exhibits COVID-19 symptoms. Nor do we cover testing as part of mandatory or recommended quarantine unless the insured exhibits COVID-19 symptoms.
Medical evacuation and repatriation
Medical evacuation and medical repatriation of COVID-19 patients are conducted in full compliance with standard policy conditions, including the requirement for Bupa Global Travel’s medical consultant to agree on the necessity of transferring the patient.
Please also note that medical evacuation of a COVID-19 patient may be subject to local restrictions.
Ex gratia COVID-19 cover does not apply to any other Bupa Global Travel Insurance coverage other than those stated above.
All other policy terms and conditions still apply.