As the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation continues to develop, our priority remains our customers and staff around the world, ensuring their health and safety is paramount. We have measures in place to help minimise the impact to services you receive.
We would like to thank all of our valued customers and partners for their support and patience at this time. This is a fast evolving situation, but you can be assured that we are taking every possible action to help customers and staff navigate this difficult period. We have been working hard to consider the situation, particularly in relation to the epidemic exclusion in our policy terms and conditions. We want to ensure that the decisions we take are in the long-term interests of our customers.
We're following the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and making changes and recommendations where necessary.
If you’ve purchased travel insurance with us you can find all the details of how you’re covered in your policy documents on the Bupa Global Travel myCard app, which can be downloaded from Google Play and App Store or on our website. www.bupaglobal.com/business-travel-insurance.
Am I covered for COVID-19 under my Bupa Global Business Travel insurance?
From 1 September 2020 Bupa Global Business Travel insurance includes ex gratia COVID-19 medical cover regardless of the epidemic exclusion in our insurance conditions, provided the traveller complies with the safe travel requirements listed below.
The ex gratia COVID-19 cover includes the following:
Bupa Global Travel will cover the cost of COVID-19 testing (excluding antibody testing) where this is prescribed by a medical professional as well as costs related to treatment, medication or hospitalisation resulting from having contracted COVID-19 provided such procedures have been prescribed by a medical professional.
- We do not cover costs related to COVID-19 testing for visa purposes.
- We do not cover the cost of COVID-19 testing to comply with mandatory or recommended testing prior to travelling, upon arrival or during the trip unless the insured traveller exhibits COVID-19 symptoms and such testing has been prescribed by a medical professional. Nor do we cover testing as part of mandatory or recommended quarantine unless the insured exhibits COVID-19 symptoms and such testing is prescribed by a medical professional.
Medical evacuation and repatriation
Medical evacuation and medical repatriation of COVID-19 patients are conducted in full compliance with standard policy conditions, including the requirement for Bupa Global Travel’s medical consultant to agree on the necessity of transferring the patient.
Please also note that medical evacuation of a COVID-19 patient may be subject to local restrictions.
Ex gratia COVID-19 cover does not apply to any other Bupa Global Travel Insurance coverage other than those stated above.
All other policy terms and conditions still apply..
Safe travel requirements
Whether the travel is essential or non-essential, Bupa Global Travel will only cover COVID-19 related incidents provided all below travel safety requirements have been fully complied with:
- The insured shall only travel to a destination provided the public authorities in the country of permanent residence of the insured have not issued warning against such travel 24 hours prior to departure
- The insured shall only travel to a destination where the local public authorities will accept the entry and stay of the insured
- The travel departure date is either 1 September 2020 or a later date and the insurance was purchased before departure from the country of permanent residence
- Compliance with the above mentioned requirements (items 1-3) must be documented by the insured
- All medical treatment in relation to COVID-19 must be pre-approved by Bupa Global Assistance
- The insured shall comply with official health guidelines issued by public authorities at the travel destination that aim to minimise the risk of contracting COVID-19.
Limitations for new sales still applies for:
The issuing of new policies are still suspended for customers with permanent residency, and for companies with official registered address, in the following countries: Mexico, Jordan, Indonesia, Nigeria and Ghana in addition to the United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey, Falkland Islands, Isle of Man or Gibraltar.